Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Slowly turning right

What a start of a day! I woke up this morning in my tent pitched next to Kunene river the night before. No signs of crocodiles's visits overnight. So everything fine. I drank my coffee together with two couples from South Africa which actually brought me to this amazing place. Two brothers (around age 42 plus/minus 20 - that's our joke:) ) and two wifes, all from South Africa. We had a great fun last night, also with my guitalele (little guitar-ukulele) which is traveling with me on motorbike and entertaining people here and there.

Anyway, I started my engine and after 50m I felt to sand and dust. Karel helped me to pick up my bike. Not even 300 metres later I felt again, this time to rocks. Karel and his brother helped me to pick up my bike. I drove 500 metres further to reach more normal road. I stopped my bike and stepped to puff adder. Yes, the snake! But little one, just 20 cms, but pretty hectic reaction from her. The brothers explained me it was some Horned or something-adder which is very very poisenous. What a start of the day. :)


Geograpchical description:
After reaching Namibian-Angola border at Epupa Falls there was no way further up for me. I slowly turned right if you look on the big map of Africa. My way was to Kunene river lodge and from there to Ruacana falls / dam. Falls are of course dry because of the dam. Damn. The road from Ruacana led me to the town of Oshikati, which was 170 kms east. I am staying here in Oshikati for the second day.

Himbas, bike and dust
Camping next to Kunene river
Dusty and bomb proof engine
Ouchh on the steep uphill
Steep downhill
Direction of Ruacana falls,
next to Angola border
Big plant provides 80 pct of
Namibia electricity
Where meteorite hit the ground
three days ago. That was close.

About Me

Crossing African continent on Yamaha XT660R

Crossing African continent on Yamaha XT660R
Lifetime experience

Facebook page Moto Africa

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *