Sunday, July 13, 2014

Rocky road towards Lake Kariba

While staying in Livingstone for over a month and planting trees with the nicest bunch of people from South Africa and international, my motorbike got some nice rest. But one morning I rediscovered an idea floating in my mind for a while. I want to go to lake Kariba. I want to see it from south where the mighty Zambezzi river flows in. It is the biggest artificial lake in the world after all. I want to see that beautiful sunset on the lake which I saw on google photos and also the place where the big boat starts a journey from south to north. I was reading about that boat but not sure if it still operates. So I will go and hopefully reach that sunset, sleepover in my tent or sleeping bag and return to Livingstone within next day. That was the plan.

July 3rd, 2014.
I started late. 12-ish. Staring point: Greenpop camping site in Zambia. After hitting the main road some 10 kms out of Livingstone, my direction was Lusaka. I drove for some 70 kms on a tar road when I reached little town called Zimba. I bought some oranges, bananas and peanuts. I paid 6 kwacha which was cheap. I asked a local man standing at the bus station for directions to Lake Kariba. I explained him that I want to reach most southern part of the lake. His English was bad. I told him that I want to see the starting point for the ferry. He said that the place is called Bimbi. It is a ranch of a white-man. That is the place, he said.
I filled up my fuel tank with 2,5 litres, from bottles as there was no petrol station. I wrote down the telephone number of the 'petrol guy', just for the case that I will need to call somebody on my way back. 
I started to ride. It was gravel road. Around 150 km one way. At first it was nice, then the road changed dramatically. Few hours later it became my nightmare...
to be continued
One photo for me please
Pathway from Zimba towards Bimbi on Zambezi river,
Zambia, cca. 150 km away from Livingstone
Real brothers. Zambia.
Hey don't cry
No idea where or what is Bimbi
It's becoming Scary!
Almost no fuel. But I must continue. I must continue. Scary.
Short story: I reached Zambezi river in 24 hours instead of expected 5 hours.
I had to sleep the night in the jungle, luckilly a tribe offered me hospitality.
I missed most southern point of lake Kariba for some 30 kilometers. 

About Me

Crossing African continent on Yamaha XT660R

Crossing African continent on Yamaha XT660R
Lifetime experience

Facebook page Moto Africa

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *