Thursday, April 20, 2017

Lake Kariba / Ticket to the Moon

I am on a mission to reunite with my motorbike which has been parked in Zambia for almost full 3 years now. Wow, time passes.

I am in the middle of a huge lake in Mozambique right now, on a small boat. More precisely it's a 12 meter long 3.5 meter wide raft with two riverboat engines made in China. Raft has a roof with captain's bridge. The name of the boat is Gwenn. It a local boat which connects Songo on the east with Zumbo on the west of Cahora bassa lake once a week. Cahora bassa is the fourth largest artificial lake in Africa, 300 kilometers long, surrounded with mountains. We are floating on the lake for the second day in a row. There are some 14 local people on the boat including three women, two children and a chicken (hen) passenger but she left when stopping at an island. Passengers speak just local languages and mixing it with some kind of Portuguese. I don't understand anything. The pair of chinese engines are so loud I can't hear either. I use earplugs made of toilet paper. I don't want to damage my precious ears. Yesterday we were crusing continuously 8AM till 00AM. We stopped two times, just to deliver some bags to tribes on the islands. We slept on the boat. I luckilly brought a hammock called Ticket to the Moon. It was a pure luxury to sleep in a hammock whilst everybody else would sleep on the floor. Later in the night I watched the stars. Southern Cross, Orion, Milky way, Venus, Jupiter,.. what a lekker.

My food is running low. I brought only one loaf of bread, two fish cans, three apples, biscuits and 1.5 liter of water. I ate already two cans and two apples but I still keep some bread, one apple, some biscuits and the water. I am grateful for my body which consumes water so economically.

I keep trash in plastic bags while others are throwing trash into the water. We are on the lake for another two days. Enjoying but looking forward to an end.
Lake Cahorra Bassa, 365 kms long and more than 100 meters deep
     
Eating my last food, a plain biscuit. And 3 days to go. :)
One and only, sunset at lake Cahoraa Bassa, Mozambique
   

About Me

Crossing African continent on Yamaha XT660R

Crossing African continent on Yamaha XT660R
Lifetime experience

Facebook page Moto Africa

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *